You've just been assigned a research project now what? Here are some Big6 tips to get you started:
1. Task Definition: make sure you know the assignment and your research question. What are you trying to learn? What do you need to do to answer your research question? How will you be evaluated?
2. Information Seeking Strategies: what are the best sources to use? Encyclopedia? Interview? How will you find those sources?
3. Location and Access: find the sources you need; find information within those sources. Use the index, the table of contents, and use advanced search strategies.
4. Use of Information: read, take notes, view videos, listen to podcasts.
5. Synthesis: put it all together. Write your essay, create a blog. Use the information you have found to answer your research question.
6. Evaluation: reflect on what you learned, what you did well, what you can improve, and what you will do next time.